By Mike Szostech Last updated
Manual screwdrivers have their place, but if you have to remove or install multiple screws in a row you need an electric screwdriver. Using a manual screwdriver can be a real forearm workout, that’s when you want the best electric screwdriver in your junk drawer – ready at a moments notice for your next DIY project.
Enter electric screwdrivers – small, compact, lightweight, but powerful enough to drive in screws and speed up assembly of flat-pack IKEA furniture. They are the in-between tool that’s not as big and clunky as a cordless drill, but easier than driving screws by hand.
The downside to even the best electric screwdrivers is that they don’t allow for standard drill bits – they all have a 1/4inch hex drive which is great for screw driver bits only.
- If you do need something that can accept a drill bit for drilling or boring holes, then you’ll need to look at our collection and pick for the best cordless drill in Canada. They cost more, and they’re heavier, but that’s because they have more functions than simply being a cordless screwdriver.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver Canada! Do you already own a cordless drill?
If you own a cordless drill, and this cordless screwdriver is just something to live in your junk drawer to help with small projects or to use in tight spaces where your drill won’t fit, then I recommend going with one of the cheap budget electric screwdrivers. Look at the Black & Decker or the Ryobi options.
If you don’t own a cordless drill, and don’t plan on it, you’ll likely want something a little more robust – with more torque for bigger jobs (where you can’t use your drill – you don’t have one remember?) and better battery life. If this is you, then I think the best option for an electric screwdriver would be one of the top-of-the-line more expensive units by a well-known tool brand.
Check out the DeWalt or Hitachi cordless units – they’re marketed to contractors, meaning that they’re rugged and reliable. But they are also easy to use and ergonomically designed making them the best electric screwdriver for homeowners too!
Or, on the other end you have cheaper electric screwdriver options from Black & Decker and Ryobi, and both would be a great tool for the DIYer.
Comparing the Best Electric Screwdrivers in Canada
Hey Canada! This section helps you compare the features of these products to help you choose the best option for you! Click on the product name to jump down to that specific review.
More Considerations when choosing the best electric screwdriver
In recent years, the cordless screwdriver has come a long way. With all of the new features and inventions in the space, it can make choosing the best cordless screw driver a bit of a chore. Here are some other things to consider when looking to make a purchase:
- Will you be working in dark spaces? Some of the cordless screwdrivers included in our list have LED worklights which makes working in a cupboard or dark area much easier. Some models don’t have a light.
- Do you want to fine-tune, or over-torque the screws? Some models come with a spindle lock, that locks the spindle in place and allows you to hand turn the whole screwdriver to add extra tightness, or to fine-tune in particularly sensitive jobs (think adjusting cabinet hinges, or screwing into soft materials where too much is a problem and you want to adjust a smidgen at a time, rather than pulling the trigger and hoping for the best).
- Do you already have a bunch of driver bits, or will you need to buy bits? If so, then look for a model than includes a bunch of driver bits, and a carrying case too
- Do you need or want variable speed? Most of the units that made or best cordless screwdrivers in Canada list are either single speed (running about 200 rpm), or 2 speed (options of 200rpm and 600rpm). A few of the top models (top meaning more expensive, but more feature rich) include variable speed from 0 to 500rpm. The variable speed really closes the gap between an electric screwdriver and a cordless drill, but it can be very useful if driving self-tapping metal screws, or driving screws into wood without a pilot whole.
- What handle style do you want? There are electric screw drivers with handles shaped like a pistol, and then there are barrel style drivers that are long and narrow. The long barrel style is handy when you need to reach straight into a narrow area, and they typically bend in the middle to allow them to fold into a semi-pistol grip to fit into tight spaces the other direction.
- What battery style do you want in your electric screwdriver? Are you the type that enjoys a specific battery for a specific tool – perhaps to keep little fingers from stealing the batteries for their new toy? Or do you want the convenience of an AA powered electric screwdriver so you can easily grab new batteries whenever you need?
This is just an overall nice compact, powerful, cordless screwdriver for everything you could need it for.
The DeWalt battery powered screwdriver is the closest you'll get to a replacement for a drill. It is the most expensive screwdriver on our list ($135 when this was written), but it is the only recommended one with variable speed. In addition, it has features common to the other high-end cordless screwdrivers like adjustable 2 position handle (straight or pistol grip), and variable clutch settings.
It comes with 2 small LED worklights positioned on either side of the chuck, and it has an LED battery status indicator on top of the tool.
Get the best price DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver in Canada from:
Dewalt 8V Max Gyroscopic - Best Electric Screwdriver review details:
DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver Reviews
Tools Critic ranked it as the #1 on their list claiming it was the 'Best Cordless Screwdriver under $100 (USD)' in their product review. [source]
Long lasting lithium batteries, and optional high RPMs make this a better all-around electric screwdriver than some of the others. The one disadvantage they list is the price.
Under $50 with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery, and 2 position handle!
If you aren't sure if you want a straight or standard grip on your cordless screwdriver, this one does both! This Skil cordless screwdriver has a USB chargeable lithium-ion battery, an LED worklight, and comes with a 9 piece bit set.
Since this is a cheap electric screwdriver, the main feature missing is a variable speed trigger. There's only one speed, and under no-load it turns 220 times per minute.
In order to reverse direction, simply toggle the direction switch with your thumb.
When combining the low price, relatively powerful torque, and the quality of the build (with a 5 yr limited warranty), it's no surprise that this cordless screwdriver is very popular and receives high ratings.
Get the best price Skil 4V Pivot Grip Cordless Screwdriver in Canada from:
Skil 4v Pivot Grip - Top Rated & Cheap Electric Screwdriver review details:
AA powered if you don't want to worry about running out of power and having to wait to recharge an integrated battery.
This is definitely the budget pick of the group of cordless screwdrivers, but we wanted to include it for a few reasons. First of all, if you are tired of product specific shaped/sized batteries failing, then this is the only AA battery powered screwdriver available.
It's simple to use with a 'tighten' and 'loosen' button. It doesn't have much screwdriving power, but it has a lock out for manual turning if the need for more control or more twisting action comes up.
We would recommend this for someone who already has a cordless drill to use when more power etc is needed, or to someone who really only needs to tighten a screw every once and a while.
Get the best price Black & Decker AS6NG AA powered cordless screwdriver in Canada from:
Black & Decker AA Powered - Budget cordless screwdriver review details:
Black & Decker AS6NG AA powered cordless screwdriver Reviews
T3 ranked it as the #5 on their list claiming it was the 'Best ultra-cheap electric screwdriver' in their product review. [March 2018]
For a few, lighter duty projects around the house (think assembling Ikea furniture or hanging a picture frame), than it's tough to compete with the low cost AA powered screwdriver from black and decker.
GeekWrapped ranked it as the #4 on their list claiming it was the 'Perfect Tool for light tasks' in their product review. [January 2018]
Admittedly, they list a drill as number 1, but this Black & Decker makes slot #4, with it's small, lightweight, but relatively powerful strength make it worth considering. It also has an innovative 'manual' lockout mode to use as a manual screwdriver.
This is another entry-level option that has limited functionality, but in a way, that makes it simpler to use and more task-specific.
Perhaps a little gimicky, the RotoBit will probably seem a little cheap and ineffective for a serious DIYer. But for someone with only the odd screw to tighten, or perhaps some Ikea furniture to assemble, this cordless screwdriver is a great choice that won't break the bank.
What we like about the RotoBit battery powered screwdriver is that it has an LED worklight, and bit storage in the tool which means you won't have to dig in your junk drawer to find your bits!
Get the best price Black & Decker BDCS50C Roto-Bit Cordless Screwdriver in Canada from:
Quick and Versatile - Black & Decker Roto-Bit Cordless Screwdriver review details:
Black & Decker BDCS50C Roto-Bit Cordless Screwdriver Reviews
Amazon ranked it as the #1 on their list claiming it was the 'Best Seller / Amazon's Choice' in their product review. [November 2018]
The Black & Decker Roto-Bit is ranked as the best electric screwdriver on Amazon.com. It has some cool features like rotating bit storage cartridge and a magnet to hold onto extra screws. Plus, it's one of the cheapest electric screwdrivers too!
Offered as an exclusive at HomeDepot, the Ryobi HP74L electric screwdriver comes with all the usual bits and charging cables.
This electric screwdriver from Ryobi has an innovative design with 3 different head attachments. It makes the cordless screwdriver more versatile than ones from other brands because it works as a right-angle driver or a flush-head driver as well with the different attachments.
A new introduction in 2021, this electric screwdriver doesn't even have spec on Ryobi's official website yet, and it can be hard to find at Home Depot. If you can, we think it makes a great choice, and it's backed by a 3 year warranty.
Get the best price Ryobi Electric Screwdriver in Canada from:
Ryobi 4V - Budget pick for Best Cordless Screwdriver review details:
Other Options for the Best Cordless Screwdriver
The Metabo (used to be called Hitachi) dual position cordless screwdriver was our top pick for 2022, but it’s really hard to find in stock. For that reason, we pulled the Metabo HPT DB3DL2 off of our list of the best electric screwdrivers in Canada. If you can find it in stock, it’s a great option.