Last updated September, 2020
Dyson is constantly revolutionizing the vacuum industry, and the Dyson stick vacuum is the most popular cordless vacuum in Canada.
Since cordless vacuum reviews are such a hot topic right now, we decided we need a Dyson specific cordless stick vacuum comparison page on this site because:
- Dyson cordless vacuums are the most common, and arguably, the first cordless stick vacuum manufacturer
- Dyson stick vacuums are often the most powerful, most expensive, and perhaps most controversial?
- Dyson has so many different models, sometimes with very small differences between them
If none of this scares you off, then scroll down the page to where we get into the meat and potatoes of the Dyson Cordless Vacuum Canada Comparison for 2020.
Do you want to see how the Dyson stick vacuum stack up against the competition? Check out our review of all brands to find the best cordless vacuum in all of Canada.
Consumer Reports Downgrades Dyson Stick Vacuums
In March, 2019, Consumer Reports removed their ‘recommendation’ from Dyson’s stick vacuums due to reliability issues. Their site starts the article saying that “nearly half of Dyson stick vacs develop problems within the first five years.” Read their full article here
They conducted a survey of their members, and based on that, Consumer Reports “estimates that close to half” will “develop problems or break within five years”.
Compared to Shark, which they say is the most reliable brand for this type of cordless stick vacuum, Consumer Reports says around a quarter of those develop issues in 5 years. Looking at it one way, it’s easy to say Dyson will break twice as often as Shark cordless vacuums, but it also points to the fact that in general, stick vacuums just don’t have long term reliability. I attribute this to a few factors:
- Cordless vacuums use a battery. Lithium-ion batteries are only good for a certain number of recharge cycles before they no longer work. As a matter of fact, CR even mentions that a dead battery was the biggest problem – and it’s typical for battery-powered vacuumes and Dyson is no worse than other brands.
- In order to make an appealing cordless vacuum cleaner, it needs to be light. That means that it will either cost an arm and a leg because it’s built out of space-grade titanium, or it will be built out of plastic parts that can break.
Another item not mentioned by Consumer Reports is how many people had their issues dealt with under warranty. They do mention that Dyson still earns their top rating for owner satisfaction – Excellent. The only other brand to rank excellent with owner satisfaction is Shark, and Shark is also ranked excellent for predicted reliability, mainly due to their wildly popular Shark F80 vacuum.
Complete list of 2020 Dyson Stick Vacuums in Canada Comparisons:
Hey Canada! This section helps you compare the features of these products to help you choose the best option for you! Click on the product name to jump down to that specific review.
Extensive Dyson Cordless Product Line
It seems like there are almost countless combinations available of different attachments, so there are many specialty Dyson models – like the Dyson HEPA vacuum filter line, or the Dyson PET vacuum line.
Here are some of the most common Dyson cordless stick vacuums available in Canada in 2020.
The Dyson V11 is the current top-of-the-line model from Dyson - with more battery life, 20% more suction than the previous V10 model, more features that keep Dyson at the front of the pack for customer satisfaction. This is like the Porsche of vacuums - it comes with a cleaning brush that automatically senses (360 times a second!) when you transition from clean to dirty, from hardwood to carpet, and increases the speed and/or power to the motorhead.
The V11 comes with 3 cleaning modes - Eco mode, which provides long cleaning time, Boost mode, which provides powerful class-leading vacuum power, and Auto mode which adapts to the floor type and adjusts suction power and brush speed.
The end of the machine has a smart LCD display that tells you the status of the filters, and how much run-time is left before your battery needs to be recharged.
All of those features and benefits, however, come at a cost. The V11 is by far the most expensive cordless vacuum in our comparisons. If you have a large house and thick carpets and pets, and you can afford it, you won't be disappointed with the Dyson V11 cordless stick vacuum.
Get the best price Dyson V11 Absolute Stick Vacuum in Canada from:Amazon.caWalmart.caDysonCanada.ca
Outside of Canada? Try
Dyson V11 Absolute Stick Vacuum review details:
Like the Dyson V8 replaces the Dyson V7, the Dyson V10 replaces the Dyson V8 (and now, actually the V11 replaces the Dyson V10). Each subsequently newer model improves on what Dyson has learned from it's years in the cordless stick vacuum business.
The V10 has a larger dustbin than the V8, 20 minutes more runtime per charge, and it has more powerful suction. If you can afford the extra $100-$200 (depending on sale prices etc), then the V10 does make more sense. However, the V8, and even the V7 are still respectable stick vacuums that do a great job.
In reality, Dyson needs to keep innovating to maintain its lead on the competition, and as new models come out, the price of the older versions goes down.
Get the best price Dyson V10 Motorhead in Canada from:Amazon.caWalmart.caDysonCanada.ca
Outside of Canada? Try
Dyson V10 Motorhead review details:
The Dyson V8 is like a V7 on steroids! It has a longer battery life than the V7 cordless vacuum, more suction power because of the version 8 motor (hence the V8 name), and more cleaning tools. It does cost more than the V7, but if you need maximum suction and long battery life, the V8 cordless vacuum is the top-rated vacuum in Canada.
Get the best price Dyson V8 Absolute in Canada from:Amazon.caWalmart.ca
Outside of Canada? Try
Dyson V8 Absolute review details:
Dyson V8 Absolute Reviews
WireCutter ranked it as the #2 on their list claiming it was the 'Runner Up' in their product review. [July 2019]
It's the best equipped cordless vacuum that comes with long battery life, and extra attachments for carpet, bare floors, upholstery etc.
HelpfulHabitat ranked it as the #3 on their list claiming it was the '4-way tie for 3rd Place' in their product review. [August 2019]
The only reason the V8 didn't make the top of the list is because it's expensive - otherwise, it would be the best cordless stick vacuum Canada. It has a 40-minute battery life, a whole machine HEPA filter in a compact and lightweight design
Alternative to consider:
The V10 is Dyson's replacement model for the V8 cordless vacuum. It has some new design features, but unless you have a large house that needs a longer battery run time, or deep carpets that require stronger suction, the V8 will do just fine. However, if you can find the cordless V10 vacuum on sale for close to the same price as the V8, then definitely upgrade to the V10!
Dyson V10 Motorhead
The Dyson V7 is the base-line model, but looks just as cool as the more expensive models, and has the same powerhead design that cleans carpets better than the competing cordless vacuum cleaners. It's almost half the cost of the newer V10 model, with the main difference being the battery life is 30 minutes rather than the 1 hour of battery life the V10 claims.
The V8 has 15% more suction power than the V7, and the V10 has almost 40% more suction power. If you can't afford the extra cost of a newer Dyson stick vacuum, the V7 is a reliable, strong choice.
Get the best price Dyson V7 Motorhead in Canada from:Amazon.caWalmart.caBestBuy.caLowes.caCostco.caCanadianTire.caDysonCanada.ca
Outside of Canada? Try
Dyson V7 Motorhead review details:
Things to consider before buying a Dyson cordless vacuum
As we browsed hundreds of online reviews for the different models of the Dyson cordless stick vacuums, there were a few common themes that we noticed.
- Dyson Power Button – All of the Dyson stick vacuums have a trigger style power button that requires the user to squeeze and hold on. If you release the trigger, the vacuum stops. The complaint is that for longer vacuuming periods, users fingers get tired. We were unable to tell if these reviewers were elderly, or if they suffered from arthritis etc. My children use our Dyson stick vacuum and never complain about the trigger button, but it might be a concern for you.
- Dyson Reliability – As noted about in the section about Consumer Reports pulling their ‘buy’ recommendation, Dyson seems to be having some long-term reliability issues with their cordless vacuums.
- Dyson Serviceability – The battery is no a quick-change style like some other brands. Instead, to replace the battery you need to unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. For some Dyson vacuum reviews, this is a ‘deal breaker’ for them. Not for me – I can use a screw driver. And actually, when you first get your Dyson cordless, the battery isn’t installed and you need to install it before you start using your new vacuum. If that’s a problem for you, then a Dyson isn’t the best choice.
In addition to the battery being screwed on, another complaint is that there is no easy way to clean the vortex generators (those are the little cyclones that create the high speed air that generate such powerful suction in the Dyson cordless vacuums). Since there is no filter after the dust bin, even on the HEPA models (the filter comes after the vortex generators), small dust particles that don’t get caught in the dust bin start to build up inside these vortex generators. This is a problem with all cordless vacuums and corded vacuums with no collection bags, not just the Dyson. Some other brands provide an easier way to clean and service them, but for the Dyson, if a vortex cleaning is required, it’s apparently quite a task even for a do-it-yourself type.
Common Praise and Compliments of Dyson Stick Vacuums
- Dyson Design – The design aspects of the Dyson cordless stick vacuum cleaners goes well beyond simply the ‘look’ of the vacuum. Dyson has thought about all aspects of their machines. From the weight balance, which means the vacuum feels balanced in your hand rather than very heavy at one side like some other brands, to the quick, no-touch-dirt dust bin emptying, there is no doubt the Dyson vacuums are well thought out in every way. Perhaps that’s why Dyson has such a huge share of the market?
- Dyson Customer Service – Even though Dyson has a higher occurance of issues than some of the more reliable brands, Dyson still ranks at the very top for customer satisfaction. Review after review can be found that talks about the issue or problem people have with their stick vacuum which is almost always followed by a ‘but….’. Dyson is always quick to try and keep their customers happy. Whether that is fixing the machine, sending a new battery, or even replacing the whole vacuum with a newer model, Dyson is serious about their customer service.
Dyson Stick Vacuum Awards
In 2019, JDPower presented an award saying that Dyson was “#1 in Customer Satisfaction with Upright and Stick Vacuums”
In 2018, Dyson ranked the highest for customer satisfaction in the cordless stick vacuum segment, according to JDPower.
Dyson ranked highest for customer satisfaction in the stick vacuum and upright vacuum segments for 2017.